Spring Salad Recipes!

I have been on the hunt for new salad recipes to keep up the Operation Healthy 2013 kick I've been on. I really do love salads, but sometimes the same old lettuce and dressing just gets bland, so I like to mix it up a little to keep things interesting. I found a couple that I really like and that are fairly easy to make so I wanted to share!
 
The first is a salad I saw on Giada at Home on the Food Network channel. I had purchased some brussels sprouts to make {this} recipe (which turned out great, but ::WARNING:: stinks up your whole house when roasted in the oven!). I had about a pound of brussels sprouts left which was the perfect amount.
 
Brussels Sprout-Leaf Salad
(courtesy of Giana De Laurentiis via foodnetwork.com - link here)
 
 photo BrusselsSproutSalad_zpsa051eb16.png
{Sorry, I am obviously not a food photographer...NEED to work on the camera skills!}
 
Ingredients
 
Dressing:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup freshly lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
 
Salad:
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
2 cups baby arugula
1 head Belgian endive, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted* see Cook's Note
1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano
 
 
Directions

 Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
 
Salad: Using a small paring knife, remove the outer leaves from the Brussels sprouts. Reserve the cores for another use. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the Brussels sprout leaves and cook for 1 minute. Drain and put in a bowl of iced water, then transfer to a colander to drain. Put the Brussels sprout leaves, arugula, endive, and almonds into a large salad bowl. Add the dressing and toss together. Sprinkle with the cheese and serve.
 
Cook's Note:
*To toast the almonds, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven until lightly toasted, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cool completely before using.
The unused core of the Brussels sprouts can be used in soups and stir-fries.

Another note - I highly suggest snacking on the toasted almonds and cheese while enjoying a glass of wine while you are cooking :)
 
 photo f4a8c4ac-01e9-4da4-89ae-2dd933e77779_zpse89ef829.jpg
 
I have a bad habit of snacking and drinking wine while I cook! 
+++

I made yet another salad this week! This one is more of a pasta salad and is great to make in large quantity at the beginning of the week so you can keep in the fridge and continue to snack and lunch on through out the week.
 
 
This recipe is a combination of {this} recipe from Eat Yourself Skinny (one of my favorite healthy food blogs) and Bill's Mom's broccoli, cauliflower salad. This salad is SOOO good! I made a batch Monday night and between Bill, his brother and myself, it was gone the next day! The boys loved it!
 
 
 photo BroccoliPastaSalad_zps2f446592.png
 {Again, the food photography is a work in progress...}
 
Kelly's version is the healthier version and she uses grapes instead of raisins. The version I made has cauliflower in it as well as broccoli. She also uses 1/2 cup light mayo and 1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt which helps reduce the calories in the dish.
 
Here is the recipe for my version:
 
Broccoli Pasta Salad
 
Ingredients:
 
1/2 (16 oz) box whole wheat farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
1/2 lb. fresh broccoli
1/2 lb. fresh cauliflower
1 cup light mayonnaise
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup diced red onion
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp. salt
6 cooked turkey bacon slices, crumbled
1/4 cup chopped pecans


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan for about 6 minutes until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.  Then prepare pasta according to package directions.


Meanwhile, cut broccoli and cauliflower florets from stems and separate into small pieces using a paring knife.  In a large bowl, whisk together mayo, sugar, red onion, vinegar and salt and toss with broccoli, cauliflower, hot cooked pasta and raisins.  Stir to coat.  Cover and chill for up to 3 hours.  Stir in bacon and toasted pecans just before serving, enjoy!

 

2 comments

  1. The brussels sprout salad looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my lord, these look amazing! I'm in serious need of new salads for summer, so I'll have to try these!

    xx,
    Maya

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts! It makes my day!