Weekend Happenings + 5 de Mayo Recipe

Hola chicas!

My weekend was pretty uneventful except for the fact that we planted a TON of flowers in our front yard. Our landscaping needed a little sprucing up, so off to our local nursery we went to grab flats and flats of Impatiens, Petunias, Snapdragons and 2 rose bushes. 


The planting was done by Bill and his brother. Payment was in the form of pizza and beer :) 


We also got some pretty potted flowers for the front porch.


I also I planted a little Dahlia plant :)

Other than a little yard work, the rest of the weekend consisted of watching the Kentucky derby, grabbing coffee and breakfast with a friend and doing chores around the house. 

My friend and I met at Pistacia Vera for coffee and breakfast on Sunday morning. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite spots. They have the most beautiful pastries, yummy breakfast quiches (I had the Bacon, Kale and Onion Quiche which was delish!), and the most perfect macarons you ever did see. Every time I go, I have to bring home a box of their macarons. 


+++

Now, since we are celebrating Cinco de Mayo, I thought it would be appropriate to share my recipe for my favorite Mexican layered dip!


Ingredients:

2 cans of Fritos bean dip {I find this in the chips isle on their own shelf with the Tostitos salsas}
3 tablespoons light sour cream
about 1/2 bag of finely shredded Mexican or Taco cheese
Optional:
chopped green onions and tomatoes
can also add sliced black olives {I'm not a big olive fan}

Directions:
Layer ingredients in order on a 9 x 11 glass casserole dish. You could sprinkle the tomatoes and green onions on either side to look like the Mexican flag {like pictured above}. You may want to refrigerate the dip for about an hour before serving or make sure all ingredients are refrigerated before layering if you are planning to serve immediately.
Serve with your favorite type of tortilla chips!
So easy and yet so delicious!

This recipe could easily be made more healthy if you use a black bean dip {my mom finds this at Whole Foods, but you should be able to find it at any health or organic food store}. You could also use non-fat greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

Check out the Cinco de Mayo Fiesta I styled last year here.

I'm linking up with Leeann:


7 comments

  1. Love how all the pretty flowers look in your front yard and those macaroons...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the flowers! And that dip sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty flowers!! And yay for Cinco de Mayo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your landscaping looks amazing and that Mexican dip... yum!! Happy Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a great weekend! Your garden looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best.Post.Ever. My loves - flowers, sweet treats, and Mexican food. I'm in blog heaven!!!

    Thanks for linking up for MMG :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha beer and pizza are a great form of payment :p Those macaroons look delish!

    Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts! It makes my day!