Fall + Winter Maternity Must Haves

It's been a while since I posted a 'maternity must haves' post. Recently, I've been trying my hardest not to splurge too much on shopping for myself so we can focus on spending the money on baby needs (and wants... let's be honest). 

However, there are a few maternity staples that I've had to purchase recently in order to get through the cooler weather we've been having here in Ohio. 

When it comes to dressing the bump, I have found it easier in the fall to buy a few maternity staples and mix them with 'regular' clothes and accessories. First, let's start with the basics...



1 | Maternity leggings. These are a must have. I have several pairs now and wear them just about everyday! The ones I have are from Destination Maternity (Motherhood Maternity brand). I bought 2 pairs of these and they have been in heavy rotation! I love the full panel that goes all the way over my belly. They are pretty opaque which is great for throwing on with a sweatshirt or cardigan and not really having to worry about covering your behind. I also got a pair from Old Navy that I wear when my other leggings are in the wash. I have also heard great things about the BLANQI brand for maternity leggings. I may have to invest in one more pair...

2 | Maternity jeans. I have loved my Jessica Simpson maternity jeans. Again, I like the full panel style. It may not be for everyone, but it makes me feel more comfortable. They are really soft and have kept their shape through a few washes. Definitely find a pair that you love!

3 | Basic tanks and tee shirts. I have bought a few colors of maternity tanks and tee shirts from Target that I wear a lot. I would suggest getting black or a basic color so you can layer on top. 

4 | Long sleeved shirts or light sweaters. I recently purchased this long sleeved maternity shirt from Target and have been wearing it a lot because it is so comfy and goes perfect with leggings! I also picked up a few light, long sleeved sweaters to go over leggings as well.

Now that you have the basics down, you can add other non-maternity pieces that you may already have in your wardrobe:


1 | Long cardigans. These are great for layering over your maternity tanks and tee shirts. You can wear them with leggings or jeans. I have a few different ones in my closet from last year that I have been using a lot. I love this boyfriend cardigan from Old Navy too. 

2 | Puffer vests. These are great for layering with your long sleeved maternity shirts and sweaters. you can leave them unzipped/buttoned to give your belly some room. I am loving this fur hooded vest option!

3 | Flat boots. Unfortunately, if you are like me and towards the end of your pregnancy, you may have swollen feet. My feet have gone up one whole size since I've been pregnant and none of my boots fit from last year (sad face). So, I picked up a pair of these and these from Old Navy to get me through the next couple of months. If you are lucky and your feet have not grown, get out all the pairs of your comfy FLAT boots for the fall and winter. Trust me, flat is the way to go... your feet will thank me! (from the photo above: red Hunter boots, Steve Madden knee high boots, Old Navy sherpa-style grey boots)

4 | Scarfs. It's no secret that the plaid, over-sized scarfs are in this season. It is the perfect way to top off your fall and winter style. You can pick up a few reasonably priced ones (like this one) from Target! 

There you have it! My budget friendly fall and winter maternity style must haves!

Pregnant ladies or former pregnant ladies, what were your maternity staples?

I'm linking up with Morgan today for Mid Week Muse.

5 comments

  1. I tried the Blanqi and thought they were way too thin!!! When you sat down they were completely see through! They also said they had belly support which I did not feel at all I felt like I had to keep pulling them up. I was so disappointed :( love all your choices though and it's easy to layer in the winter once you have the basics

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh i need to try those tank tops from target! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinning this right now! I am LOVING those basics!!! Thanks for the suggestions, mama! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving the plaid scarfs, just like every other girl this fall! These are great choices, I need to pin for whenever I get pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was definitely my maternity style too! Definitely invest in the basics and work whatever still fits in! I wore tons of solids and made scarves my patterns. My feet were so swollen during both that I lived in Tory Burch thong sandals. Literally, even in the winter!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts! It makes my day!