Typical Day with Camden and Exclusively Pumping

I have had some questions regarding EP'ing and our bedtime routine on the blog and Instagram, so I thought I'd combine the 2 and give you all a typical day schedule with 2 month old Camden.

EP = Exclusively pumping and bottle feeding. It is my goal to continue exclusively pumping and feeding Camden 100% breast milk for at least 3 months. I do plan to start supplementing with one or more formula feedings after that so I can build up a freezer supply in order to continue feeding him at least some breast milk through his first year of life or until we are able to transition him to cow's milk.

Let me start by saying, I did not plan to exclusively pump with Camden. The first 2 weeks of his life we tried and tried and TRIED to get the breastfeeding down, but the little guy just wasn't getting it and would not latch for more than a minute or so at a time. He was also very small (5 lbs 13 oz at birth and 5 lbs 5 oz when we left the hospital) and I was worried about making sure he was getting enough to eat. I fed him a bottle of my pumped breast milk the first day we got home from the hospital and he took it down like a champ. Seeing how easy it was for him to take a bottle and how stressful it was every time we tried to breastfeed, I started to just focus on pumping and feeding him from a bottle.

I will say there are days I wish I could just breastfeed and think how much easier my life would be. I wouldn't be constantly washing pump and bottle parts. I wouldn't have to take an extra 15-20 mins every 3-4 hours away from giving Camden my attention or doing something else. I wouldn't have the thought of "when and where can I pump" when I'm out of the house running errands or meeting up with friends. However, the pros are knowing how much your baby is getting and the best of all... Other people can help feed your baby! Bill has been such a saint and has taken a lot of night time and early morning feedings for me so I can get some sleep! I'm all about taking shifts at nights if you can!

NOTE: It took a while for me to work up to my current supply. For the first 6 weeks of EP'ing, I would pump every time he ate (every 3 hours) to build up my supply. Then, I started stretching out my sessions to every 4 hours. Now, I can go every 4-5 hours during the day and sometimes a longer stretch at night. 

Let me just start by recommending if you can breastfeed, do it! If not for whatever reason, start by pumping every time baby eats for at least 6 weeks to build up your supply. Of course, every woman's supply will differ. This is just what has worked for me. 

+++



Typical Day with Camden at 2 months

5:30 - 6:30am: Camden usually wakes up and I hear him squirming on the monitor (he is currently sleeping swaddled in his crib). I wake him, change and feed him. 

7am: Typically I can get him to go back to sleep after this feeding, so I swaddle him back up and place him in the crib while I go pump if I haven't already this morning. After each pumping session, I divide what I get into feedings and put them in the fridge for the day. I typically get between 4 - 6 oz each session, but if I go for a longer stretch at night, I can get about 7-8 oz from the morning session. 

7:30am: I typically go back to bed for a few more hours of sleep. 

8:30 - 9am: Camden wakes up again and stirs in his crib. I go start his next bottle in the bottle warmer and make my coffee. I feed him while we watch morning TV and I sip on my coffee, watch TV, catch up on blogs, etc.

9:30am: This is one of my favorite times during the day because Camden is awake and gives me the sweetest baby smiles while I play with him on his boppy lounger on the couch. 

10:30 - 12pm: Camden typically naps during this time either in his bouncer or the swing and this is when I do the dishes, clean/sterilize bottles and pump parts (I use the medela quick clean micro-steam bags) or do a quick workout video on YouTube (my favorites are the Tone It Up love your body series). I will also make myself breakfast which recently consists of a protein smoothie or whole wheat english muffin with reduced fat PB and sliced bananas. I pump around 11am.

12pm - 12:30: Camden wakes up again and is ready to eat. He's been telling me when he's hungry now by trying to eat his hands and it's the cutest thing! I try not to wait to long after I see this happening because the guy can go from 0 to crying in no time when he's hungry! After I feed him, I will change him.

12:30 - 1pm: I spend some time playing and holding Camden. Sometimes I'll put him in the bouncy chair or on his activity mat and while he stares at the mobile objects and coos. 

1pm - 2:30pm: Camden is sleeping again (either in the bouncy chair or swing) and I take this time to do laundry, catch up on emails, clean the house, etc. Or I just catch up on TV shows that I've missed. I try to eat something light at this time as well. Sometimes I will pump around 2-2:30. 

3pm: Camden is ready to eat again. After I feed him I try to pump if I didn't already. This can get tricky if he does not fall asleep. I try to keep him on the Boppy Lounger on the couch with me while I pump so I can pay attention to him. After I pump, I will change him and if he's still awake we will play on his activity mat in his room. 

4:30 - 5pm: Camden may nap for a bit if I'm lucky and this is when I will check the mail, empty the dishwasher, start dinner. 

Bill is typically traveling for work during the middle of the week and may be gone for 1-2 nights. The nights that he's away, my parents have been coming over in the evenings to help out and give me a little break which has been amazing! I am so lucky that they live so close and are so willing to help out!

5:30 - 6pm: My parents will come over if Bill is out of town at this time. Camden is ready to eat again around 6pm. My mom will feed him while I pump. Then, I will go to the gym, run errands or have dinner with a friend while they watch Cam for a few hours. I am so happy to get some "me" time in the middle of the week!

If Bill is home, he will feed Cam around 6pm while I work on dinner (which typically consist of some type of frozen meal or something really easy!). We will try to eat while taking turns holding/playing with Camden and Charlie (poor dog is ignored by me during the day).

8:30 - 9pm: If Bill is home we will both give Camden a bath. If not, I will just give him a quick sponge bath by myself and get his bottle ready for his bedtime feeding. I'll do some quick tummy time with him of we didn't get to during the day. 

9pm- 9:30: I dress Camden for bed and feed him in his room with the lights low while we listen to lullaby music on Pandora. After I feed him, I either read him a book or we rock and listen to music. Typically, he will fall asleep in my arms. Some nights it takes longer to get him to sleep. Once he is at least sleepy, I will swaddle him up and place him in the crib. I sometimes have to go back in the room 2 - 4 times to soothe him before he falls asleep. We are really lucky that Camden does not cry that much. When I put him in the crib at night he will usually just grunt and squirm for a while until he eventually falls asleep.

*I started our bedtime routine with him sleeping in his crib when Camden was about 7 weeks old. Before that he was sleeping in the Rock n Play, but he started getting too cramped in it, so I decided to transition to the crib.

10:30 - 11pm: I pump for the last time of the day. Then, I collapse into bed with the monitor on sitting next to my head on the nightstand so I can hear Camden when he wakes up.

2:30 - 3am: This is when I start to hear Camden wake up for his night feeding. I will warm up his bottle and feed him in his room with the lights off and the door open with the hall light on so he stays sleepy. Sometimes I will keep him in his swaddle and just open it up a bit so I can burp him. Most of the time, he will fall asleep right after this feeding and I will swaddle him back up and put him back in the crib. He has given us a few nights of sleeping until 5am and I'm hoping that soon becomes the norm!

*I will set my alarm for about 5:30am to get up and pump before his early morning feeding. Sometimes I sleep through it :/ 


There you have it! A typical day for me and Cam. If you are still reading at his point, kudos! Of course, this is an ideal day. Sometimes he doesn't nap all day and sometimes I feel as though he sleeps the day away. More recently, he has been awake for more of the day and I think it's because he is starting to sleep more/better at night in the crib. 

If you have any questions about exclusively pumping or our night time routine, please comment below! I am not an expert in either of these areas, but I can at least share what has worked for me/us. 

9 comments

  1. This is SO helpful, thank you for sharing!! So glad that you were able to find what works for you and sweet little Camden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing! This is so very helpful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a day!! Sounds like you got quite the routine down which is awesome!! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exclusively pumping is no joke, good for you girl!! I give you SO much credit! You fit in a lot in your day and are so hands! Camden is so lucky to have such a great mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have him on such a good schedule already! I definitely did not have Miller on a schedule like this at 2 months. I miss those days of going back to bed when Miller was really little- enjoy them and be as lazy as possible! It's the only time you'll get to do it. Good job for exclusive pumping- it's not easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing all of this!! Definitely a full day! We have gone back & forth over the bottle warmer - do you think it's worth it? I say yes, husband says no. Lol! Thanks again for sharing! So helpful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohh i remember these days...lots of feeding, cleaning, and sleeping!! You guys seem to have a great rhythm going already and its so nice that you have family close to help out. He is just adorable and I'm glad he's a good sleeper for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, this brings back so many memories of having a newborn. It's not easy, but you seem to have it down already :) and there's nothing cuter than sweet gummy smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so good to know!! i really wonder how i'll do breastfeeding... i have a pump and bottles just in case! and my mother-in-law just sent us that boppy lounger pillow :) xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts! It makes my day!