Family Room Decor

Currently, we are (slowly) working on redecorating our family room and I am having a hard time with decided what to do on the wall above our couch. 

It has been blank for over a year now and it's driving me crazy! Bill used to have 2 large art pieces hanging over the couch that I was not a fan of, so we sold them. When I moved in the room was so drab... Brown and tan everywhere blah! Since then, we've added our marble coffee table and I just got new teal blue curtains and throw pillows to bring in some more color. Next is purchasing a new grey sectional and getting rid of the ugly brown sofa and love seat. I will be so happy when that is done!

I want to wait to put anything on the wall until we ave our new sectional to make sure everything is centered, but I want to start brainstorming ideas now. 

Here are my top ideas for decorating the wall above the couch:

1 | Gallery Wall

| via |

| via |

I like this idea of the gallery wall because I can incorporate so many meaningful things like a wedding photo, artwork, random frames and decor, etc. I just don't know if I want the wall to be too "busy."


2 | Floating Shelves

| via |

I like the idea of floating shelves because it gives more structure to the look. You can also change out the art / frames easily with out putting more holes in the wall. It would take less planning and preparation than the gallery wall. 


3 | One main focal point

| via |


| via |

Or we could just have one main focal point like a custom art piece, large canvas portrait from our wedding or a large mirror like the one below:


Which is your favorite? 
How would you decorate a blank wall?

7 comments

  1. I LOVE a good gallery wall but I'm so intimidated to do one myself! We have that Target mirror and love it - you should get it even if it doesn't end up over the couch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gallery walls are so beautiful but they can be hard to put together. floating shelves are a great idea bc you can easily rearrange photos/frames! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the floating shelves or gallery wall - so pretty!! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your inspiration is beautiful, I've pinned a lot of the same images. Gallery walls are tough for sure, we have one and it took forever to do, and I still don't think it's 100% right haha. can't wait to see what you do with the space!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gallery walls give me anxiety. I don't have one in my house even though I love them because I'm scared of all the planning it would take. I like the idea of floating shelves. The wall above my couch has one big focal point and I like the way that looks. I love your main focal point inspiration picture with the Love sign.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a heads up I got the starburst mirror from target that you posted and it's not as big as I pictured in my mind. I still love it though. I'm going to hang it along with other things in our bedroom for a gallery wall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blank spaces are so fun to decorate! I am all about each of the options you listed!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts! It makes my day!