Because I'm running a half marathon on Sunday...

That's right, folks... It's happening. I can't stop it. I can't turn back now. I just have to do it (like nike). I signed up for this half marathon at the beginning of the year in hopes that it would give me the motivation to keep working out and to lose the 'baby weight.' 

Well, I still have a few extra lbs hangin' around, but overall I feel a lot better than I did 10, 6, even 3 months ago. I know that only focusing on cardio while working out does not equal losing weight. In fact, I feel as though I've gained or sustained my weight the past few months just because I've been so hungry after running. My body knows it needs calories to burn off and I'm constantly craving carbs! 

The good thing about training for a half marathon? 

1 | It helps to increase my endurance. Having and taking care of a baby is no joke. Especially when they are mobile and constantly on the move. Carrying around a 20+ pound baby all day will definitely wear you out! I've noticed that I'm huffing and puffing a lot less now that I've been running consistently.

2 | It allows me to enjoy the outdoors. I typically run outside around our neighborhood or on a jogging path. I love running in the spring, summer and early months of fall when the weather is nice. This is how I've been able to maintain my 'joggers' tan as I like to call it.

3 | It allows me to have ME time. I can listen to my jams be at one with my thoughts in peace for at least 45 mins! The time I spend running, I make sure that someone is able to watch Cam. I typically go running on work days (3 days x week) in the morning right after I drop off Cam. I make sure to get in a good run before I start my day. This way I'm not rushing to get done or feel guilty about the time I'm spending away from him. I also try to get a run in on the weekends when Bill is able to watch him for a few hours.

I think it's easy for mothers to make excuses for why they don't workout or don't have the time. There's always time, it's more about how you stack your priorities. I came across this post that was shared by Natalie and Annie (on fb) and it struck a cord with me. Definitely a good read and something all moms should contemplate. 

All that said, am I the most fit and healthy person in the world? Not even close!! When it comes to dieting... That is where I truly struggle! I'm such a comfort food junkie! 

And now I will leave you with a little collage of items that are on heavy rotation when I run (and on days when I'm home with Cam). I will let you in on a little secret... They are all from Old Navy except my shoes! I refuse to spend more than $30 per item on clothes that I will sweat in. I just. can't. do it! Everyone raves about Lululemon workout clothes and I'm over here all 'I love my ON workout gear!'


1 | Burn out tanks : these are super soft and I love the elastic racer back detail. I size up in these so they are very flowy and comfortable.

2 | The go-dry pullover : I wear this thing all the time. It is supposed to be a little chilly this weekend, so I may bring it with me to the race to wear over my running tank. It is super lightweight and comfortable. AND it's on crazy sale right now for only $10!!

3 | High support racerback sprots bras : I need a little extra support in this department and these bras are the best that I've tried. They have a little extra lining in the front and the racer back helps with the support also. 

4 | High rise compression pants and crop pants : Trust me on the high rise thing. I have experience running in mid rise/normal pants and they always seem to slip down after long distances. The high rise helps to keep them in place. I will most likely wear these this weekend since it will be cold!

5 | Nike Free 5.0 running shoes : These shoes are amazing. They are so lightweight and comfortable I feel like I'm running barefoot, but with the right amount of cushion and some arch support. I'm so glad I invested in these shoes before this race!

PS - kudos to me for blogging everyday this week! In case you missed it:

Please say a little prayer for me on Sunday morning!! :)

Have a great weekend!

10 comments

  1. Good luck this weekend - you've got this gurlie! Love how training for this race has been so much more than just running. You've built endurance and strength while having your me time and enjoying the outdoors <3

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, so many positives with this training experience. I'm kind of glad it's coming to an end though :)

      Delete
  2. I can't believe your half marathon is here! Way to set a goal and do it!!! I'm so inspired! You will rock this lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking about you today!!! Good luck girlfriend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the race went well today, crossing the finish line is one of the greatest feelings after running 13.1 miles! Xo, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah!!!! That is awesome! I would love to sign up for another one. I love your running workout picks as well!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts! It makes my day!