My New 'Normal' + Finding 'Me' Time


As I sit here in Bennett's nursery watching him sleep during Camden's nap time, I'm realizing that these few little quiet moments are going to be very scarce going forward. Last week was my first full week at my new job as a SAHM of 2 boys under the age of 2. Let me tell you, initiation into this new career has been challenging to say the least.

My days are filled with soothing a fussing baby, rocking, nursing, burping, pumping, wiping all while my 20 month old is whining, getting into things, jumping on the couch and testing my patience. Camden wants me to hold him when I'm holding the baby. The baby wants to be held when I'm in the middle of a fun activity with Camden. I'm being pulled in all directions. On top of that, the nights give me anxiety. Will I get some sleep tonight?

Oh, and forget the house chores. Our house is a permanent disaster. I'm slowly learning to live with it. Things are everywhere. Baby things, toddler toys... just STUFF everywhere. I do my best to keep up with the dishes and laundry, but not much beyond that. My main priority at the moment is making sure these babes are fed, cleaned, entertained and loved.

This is my new normal.

Oh and finding "me" time? This has been a goal of mine and I'm quickly realizing that those times will be very few and far between. It is a miracle that both babies are even sleeping at the same time right now. I told Bill that I will need a few hours every weekend to myself, just to get out of the house. Thank goodness I have a husband that is very understanding and is capable and willing to take care of both our boys so that I can recharge here and there. I think it's hard for us moms to let others know we need a break from our kids. This past Saturday, I went to Hobby Lobby by myself for an hour, probably spent too much money on things for Bennett's nursery and then spent the rest of my remaining half an hour at Starbucks with my laptop. I was so excited, I didn't even get to blogging. All I did was answer a few emails and browse online sites knowing full well I wasn't going to buy anything.

Some of my friends shared this article with me and I think it really struck a cord in my current state of mind. We (moms) forget to take care of ourselves not only physically, but mentally as well. We NEED a break every now and then. We will be better mothers because of it.

I'm sharing all of this with you because I'm not really sure when I will be able to blog for the next few months as things are pretty hectic around here. My priorities have shifted, but I'm hoping to keep it alive as long as I have some 'me' time here and there. The posts may be few and far between.

Just know I am still reading blogs and am being inspired everyday! You guys keep me going! I want to comment more, but I'm mostly on my phone now and it is more difficult to comment. Just know I am reading and following along.

That is all for now. My toddler just woke up early from his nap and is throwing everything out of his crib...Of course!

Back to work! :)

9 comments

  1. Oh lady, do I get this. I cried out of exhaustion and being completely overwhelmed yesterday for like an hour... and I only have one to take care of!!! Just remember that all that matters are happy babies - and DEFINITELY some me time. I'm still trying to figure out how to make that a priority!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right there in the trenches with you, girl! I have two girls ages 2 and 3 months, and my opportunities to slip away are so, so necessary! Thank the sweet Lord for our precious hubbies who understand this and are totally capable of parenting so that we can get a break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those days, they are exhausting for sure. Hang in there and yes - you need time to recharge, recharging works wonders! And like you said, the goal are happy babies, not a spotless home. Just enjoy those two cuties xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gal, I totally feel you. This transition from one to two totally hit me like a punch in the face. It seemed okay at first when the newborn slept all the time, but then things kept getting tougher and tougher...for while. I finally started feeling some relief around 9 months and I promise you will too. It does get better. Don't be afraid to ask for help. I know everyone says that, but I swear, its the truth. I was at my breaking point when Madelyn was about 5 or 6 months old and I finally hired a babysitter to come for a few hours in the morning twice a week when Brody was in school. Having that time to go work out or have coffee completely changed my mental state. Today is my babysitters last day with us. She stayed for about 5 months. That's all I needed. And you may only need 2 or 3 months. Just remember its temporary and just because you are a SAHM doesn't mean you don't need a break too. We are 24/7 especially with a newborn that wakes in the middle of the night!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two kids is quite possibly the hardest job in the world, no matter how you do it or look at it. You are rocking this mama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bowing down! You're rocking this mama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I honestly don't know how you're doing it! You will definitely get into a groove though, its just those first few newborn months that throw everything off course. You are doing SO so good even if it doesn't feel like it most days. Soak up these moments with your babies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go, girl! You're an inspiration to other moms and moms-to-be out there. You do you and take care of your family. That's all that really matters in the end anyways, and you're so lucky to have a great support system from your husband that is willing to give you the help that you need!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hang in there!!! i feel so busy and im just watching one so im sure you are going non-stop until nighttime. let me know if you want to do have a playdate! i know it might be hard to get out of the house but at least Cam and Vi can play together!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts! It makes my day!