6 Months with Bennett!



Milestone baby cards c/o | Raccoon rattle c/o Finn & Emma

Baby Bennett turned 6 months on December 28th! I can't believe we've had this little bundle of joy for over a half a year now! A lot has happened since his 3 months update. He started daycare around the time he was 16 weeks old when I decided it was time to start back to work. It was a difficult decision for our family, but in the end we decided it would be best for everyone. I had major mom guilt about going back to work (even though just part time), but I knew I would feel much more balanced and I would appreciate the time I had with the boys so much more!

Shortly after he started daycare, he started getting sick... go figure! He's had a handful of colds, a stomach virus, 2 ear infections and RSV over the past 3 months. Poor guy has been through a lot! We've had some rough nights especially when he's been so sick. I had him sleeping in the rock 'n play for weeks while he was stuffy because he would just cough and gag if I tried to have him sleep flat in the crib. It got pretty scary to hear him cough sometimes. I think the trip to the Dr when he had RSV was the worst. Bill was out of town and both boys came down with nasty colds. Bennett's was so bad that he was coughing and wheezing a lot, so I decided to take him to the doctor that day. Because he was wheezing, the doctor tested him for RSV and sure enough he had it. They supplied us with a breathing machine and I had to do breathing treatments with my 5 month old every 4-6 hours for the next week. It was rough! But, I'm happy to report that he is back to his normal happy baby self now thank goodness!

I think since he's been through so much and started daycare at a young age he has become so easy going! He smiles and giggles all the time and it just makes my heart melt! He really only cries when he's really upset or sick and when he does, watch out! That boy has some pipes! But, it is very rare to hear him cry anymore. He is so squishy and snuggly! He weighed just over 19 lbs at his 6 month check up putting him in the 80th percentile for weight! He was also in the 75th percentile for height and 91st for head circumference! Big boy!

Eating: He is on all formula now. I started weaning from breastfeeding/pumping around the time he turned 5 months. I think we were both ready. I had already started supplementing around the time he was 3 months and he was taking the formula pretty well. I was able to feed him some frozen breastmilk that I had saved for the last few weeks before he turned 6 months. So, I was able to reach my goal of breastfeeding for 6 months which I'm happy with. Currently, he takes 5 bottles a day (every 3-4 hrs) which are each around 6-7 ounces. We also just started feeding him solids. So far he's tried sweet potatoes, squash and a mixture of carrots/squash/pumpkin that he really liked! I'm hoping to start incorporating some green veggies, fruit and oat cereal soon!

Sleeping: His sleeping has gotten SO much better, especially since he is no longer sick (knock on wood). I put him to bed no later than 7:30, feeding him a 7 ounce bottle before bed. He has been waking up anywhere between 5am and 7am in the mornings and I just adjust his schedule around his wake time. He usually takes 3 naps per day that are anywhere between 40 mintues to 2 hours long. I make sure he is not napping past 4:30ish so that he is tired and ready for bed by 7:30. We weaned him from the swaddle around 4 months and he's done pretty well! We used the Halo Sleep sacks at night and for his naps. He pretty much just naps in his crib, but sometimes will in the car seat if we are running errands.

Milestones: So many fun milestones at this age! He can roll back and forth, but he is so top heavy with his head that he will roll almost all the way over and get stuck trying to lift his head lol! I assist him sometimes and he looks at me like 'thank you!' ha! He's also babbling A LOT! Boyfriend has so much to say! And he's so loud! He is most talkative in the morning too when we are all still waking up. My little rooster! He is really good at keeping his head upright and is so close to sitting up. He is able to sit up with some support, but he leans so far forward that he starts to tip! He is really loving the jumperoo and loves to dance to the music! I am convinced that he is teething and about to pop 4 teeth at once which makes for a lot of drool and laundry to clean all those bibs and drenched outfits everyday!

Current Schedule at 6 months:

between 5-7am: wake up, 6 oz bottle
1st nap starts between 8-9am, lasts about an hour
9-10am: 2nd feeding, 6 oz bottle
2nd nap starts between 11am-12pm, lasts anywhere from 1-1.5 hours
around 1pm: 3rd feeding, 6 oz bottle
3rd nap starts around 3pm, lasts about an hour
4pm: 4th feeding, 6 oz bottle
5:30pm: solids feeding around our dinner time
7pm: bedtime feeding, 7 oz bottle
7:30 bedtime

Life has been a little hectic, but so much more fun since he has been with us! I can't imagine life without our little Bennett anymore! He just adores his older brother too and loves to stare at him all the time!

We had such a fun holiday season with the boys and I'm looking forward to all the memories we will make with them this year!!

Happy half birthday, Bennett! We love you so much!


Shop some of our current favorite baby items below:


4 comments

  1. I cannot believe these babes are already 6 months old!!! And practically 7 months! It's blowing my mind! We operate pretty much on the exact same schedule - although I'm kind of excited for the day we can drop that third nap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just so cute! That last picture is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last picture melts me - and I can't believe he is six months old! I loved being on a two nap schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe he is six months already! He is so adorable! I'm so sorry you had to deal with all of that illness and my fingers are crossed for you for no more!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts! It makes my day!