Tasty Tuesday // Favorite Fall Recipes

One of my favorite things I look forward to when the leaves start changing and the weather starts to get chilly is cooking a nice, big pot of...well...CHILI! I have a pretty simple recipe I make for normal chili, but a few years ago my mom introduced me to a BBQ chicken chili recipe that is so easy, healthy and addicting!

This is what my mom calls "praying to the can Gods". Meaning, this recipe calls for mostly canned ingredients that are ready to be mixed together in a big pot.

BBQ Chicken Chili

Ingredients:

2 - 12.5oz cans of white chicken meat (drained)
1 - 15oz can of black beans (drained)
1 - 10oz can of diced tomatoes* (drained)
*I like to use Rotel's diced tomatoes and green chillies for a little more heat
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 - 18oz bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's Original or Sweet & Spicy flavor BBQ sauce
Chili powder to taste


Directions:

Brown chopped onions in large pot on medium heat
Add chicken and slowly break apart with fork
Add all canned ingredients
Pour in BBQ sauce and stir
Let chili come to a slight boil, then reduce to low heat
Let the pot simmer for about an hour or serve immediately
Add chili powder to taste

Serve with warm cornbread! So yummy! 

{Image via Slim-Shoppin.com

Of course, I can't get enough Pumpkin recipes in the fall...Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin soup, pumpkin cookies, Pumpkin Spice Lattes (#PSL)... Bill and I are addicted to Eddy's low-fat Pumpkin Patch ice cream with caramel syrup! It is our go-to dessert at the moment!

I tried to make some homemade pumpkin and butternut squash soup last week after being inspired by this recipe I pinned on Pinterest. I ended up caramelizing the onions and apples before adding the rest of the ingredients, but I added too many apples. Instead of cubed pumpkin, I used pumpkin filling from the can. Instead of cubed butternut squash, I used some butternut squash soup that was homemade from Bill's mom. The process was a lot quicker that way! The result was so good, but next time I will use less apple :)

{Image via The Curvy Carrot}

Another ingredient that reminds me of fall is sweet potatoes. I just tried a baked sweet potato for the first time last week and I am in love! All I top them with is a few dollops of non-fat Greek yogurt and a little bit of fresh cracked pepper...So delish!

Last night I tried to make this recipe for baked sweet potato chips with vinegar and sea salt. They look SO good in the photo, but mine turned out a little soggy... My problem was that I was mixing recipes on line and tossed them in EVOO before popping them in the oven. I also did not let them bake long enough to get crispy brown. I am going to try again tonight to see if I can make them just like this photo...

{image via Undressed Skeleton}

For more savory fall meals and snacks, check out my "Closet Foodie" Pinterest board.

Happy Tuesday Loves!


1 comment

  1. Hi,
    We’ve recently launched the website Mytaste.com. It’s a search engine that gathers all the best recipes from US websites and blogs in one place. Mytaste.com is part of the world’s second largest family of recipe sites, with sites in 37 countries and hundreds of thousands of visitors every week. We’ve noticed that you have a lot of great looking recipes on your blog that we would love to feature on our site. To read more about how it all works and to sign up with your blog, please visit: http://mytaste.com or send us an email on info@mytaste.com. We look forward to hearing from you!

    Kind regards,
    Senka
    Site Manager

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts! It makes my day!