Operation Healthy 2013...

Photobucket
 {images:: 1 // 2}
 
I have always struggled with diets. I was never a big fan of trying to eat the same thing everyday or cut out everything that tastes good. I am a foodie at heart and I love a good savory meal at the end of a long day, a diet coke in the afternoon to wake me up and a glass of wine at night to wind down. I am a complete freak about cheese! I love cheese! And not just your run of the mill Kraft singles...I mean fancy, smelly, expensive cheese! The kind that costs $8 for an oz block. New York Sharp White Cheddar, Gruyere, Asiago and Parmesan Reggiano to name a few...I love baking brie on top of a crostini with some strawberry or raspberry sauce! Yum!
 
Alas, these loves of my life do not in turn love my waistline...So, it's time to cut down on the guilty pleasures of life and get healthy for 2013! There are so many reasons why it is important for me to shed pounds this year.
 
1 // We have a destination wedding for one of Bill's friends in Key West in March - That's right, I have less than 2 months to get my body bikini worthy...I know, don't feel too sorry for me...
 
2 // Wedding! Hello! Trying on big white dresses...white, especially shiny white, is not very forgiving...I know, I know, there are girdles and lace up dresses that can suck me in. But, I want to feel like I could wear the dress and look perfect in it with out all the "suck in the gut" gadgets out there...
 
3 // Because healthy + strong is the new skinny! I'm starting to realize that I have way more of a girl crush on ladies with toned muscles and curves than stick figures with nothing more than skin and bone...Does anyone else feel this way? I would much rather keep my curves, flatten out the stomach area and tone my arms, than loose them all together...I have learned over the years that starving yourself (by itself) does not produce results...You have to include some sort of physical activity and (in my experience) has to include strength training.
 
So, I give you my daily diet and work out routine...I'm not posting this to recommend you do the same...I think everybody is different and every BODY is different, so you should consult your doctor or a professional if you are seeking to loose weight.
 
I'm also writing this down and posting it to the public to make myself feel more accountable. Now everybody knows and I've got to stick to it!
 
// Diet Plan //
 
What I hate most about diets, is the restriction. Instead I am going to focus on what I can eat in moderation and ideas for each meal and snacks...
  
Cut WAY down on:
 
-Starchy carbs:: white bread, pasta, potato products, etc.
-Any fried food
-Sweets/Sugar:: I'm not a big sweets person, so this one is not difficult for me.
-Processed food:: this one is tough because I rely on easy to cook food because I rarely have the time to...
 
Have in Moderation:
 
-Cheese:: stick to low fat hard cheeses , low fat cottage cheese is good.
-Alcohol:: I typically will have a glass of wine at night to wind down from the day. White wine is my favorite which is loaded with sugar. If I can limit myself to 3 glasses a week, that should cut out a good 400 calories from my weekly diet. A bottle is typically 700 calories.
-Whole Wheat products:: I have learned that sometimes wheat products are not as healthy as they are made out to be. Yes, whole wheat is better than white bread, but it contains gluten. Gluten, (Latin word that literally means"Glue") is a substance that sticks to your intestines and makes you feel bloated.
-Diet Soda:: I am addicted to Diet Coke...Like, I have a problem...I am limiting myself to one a day only if I work out as a reward...
-Eating out:: I love to go to a restaurant with Bill or friends for dinner and drinks to relax and catch up. However, food from a restaurant is always higher in calories than if you would make it at home. The portions are larger, you don't know what type of oil or other fatty ingredients were used to make it. It's just better to eat at home as much as possible.
 
PORTION CONTROL! A portion should be the size of your fist, no larger...And for me that's really small because I have baby sized hands...
 
Load on the (low fat) protein and veggies!! As much as you can eat!
 
Examples:
Breakfast: whole wheat toast w/ low fat peanut butter // Low fat cottage cheese with fruit // Eggs (mostly egg whites) with sautéed veggies, ketchup/salsa/hot sauce // low fat instant oatmeal w/ berries or nuts // low fat cereal w/ skim milk and sliced bananas.
Lunch: tuna salad made with low fat mayo, onion, celery, relish w/ whole wheat crackers // cup of low fat chili loaded with protein // salad with meat, protein and low fat dressing // soup , non-creamy loaded with veggies and some protein // deli meat sandwich on whole wheat deli thins w/ low fat mayo/mustard/pickle.
Snacks: hand full of wheat thins // nuts // fruit // pop chips // low fat cheese and crackers
Dinner: large portion of protein and veggies, small portion of carbs (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc)
Drink 8 glasses of water / day
 
// Work It Out 2013 //
Bill and I have started a work out challenge together. It's easy and simple...Who can work out more times / week. The workout has to be at least 30 mins and has to include some weight training and some cardio.
I typically like to run or bike for about 10 mins and then go straight to weights and machines. My main goal is to tone up, so I need to focus on my core muscle areas. I work on abs for about 10 minutes / session as well.
If I can't make it to the gym, I will sit in front of the TV at the end of the night and do push ups, sit ups and lunges for an hour (Taking small breaks here and there). I will also work on stretching my muscles and incorporate some yoga positions.
I am also starting Zumba with some friends this Sunday! I've heard some great things about the class and I'm excited to dance, sweat and have fun while I work out!
It always helps to include friends or significant others in your workout routines so they can hold you accountable.
 
Well, that's it. Doesn't seem to tough, right? Totally do-able! I am going to record my weight and body shape today and see where I end up by mid-March...
Wish me luck!
How are you staying fit and healthy in 2013?
 

No comments

I love hearing your thoughts! It makes my day!