12 Days of Christmas Crafts // #11 Chalk Board Coasters

 
 
Well, I had planned to have a nice DIY for chalk board mugs, much like the ones {here}. Unfortunately, I am a very impatient person and I went ahead and tried to make these without fully reading the directions...BIG mistake!
 
You see, when painting porcelain mugs with chalk board paint, you must use a special type of chalk board paint {which you can find here and here}. You have to bake the mugs after painting to seal in the paint so that it will not chip...Like this...
 
 
So, I decided to try something else with the same type of regular chalk paint you
 can find at any craft store. I purchased a set for 4 pine wood squares {4.5" x 4.5"}. I painted them with 2 coats of the chalk paint and let them dry. I applied 4 small felt circles to the bottom corners of each to protect against the coffee table.
 
 
 
After the chalk paint dries, it's important to rub a piece of chalk all over the chalk board surface and then wipe off. This will create the chalk board look.
 
 
 
 
Write a fun note on each, tie with ribbon and stick them in a stocking or on the tree for a last minute gift!
 
 
I'm linking up with Katie and Steph for Saw it, Pinned it, Did it! Hop over and check out some of the other Pinterest inspired posts!
 
 

2 comments

  1. I love this! I'd see the cups before, but I really love the coaster idea!

    ~Tiffany
    http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute idea for coasters!!
    -- jackiejade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts! It makes my day!